Skip to main content

Rainbow cake!

With her birthday fast approaching, my sister-in-law put this link on my facebook page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emily-weaver-brown/4827840735/in/faves-38319530@N03/

Go check it out. Ooh and aww. And know that there is NO way I was going to make that cake. At least not yet.

Someday.

Maybe.

So, in my search for a replacement, I found a recipe on Omnomicom. I made the cake without too much difficulty. And, unlike the recipe, my cake wasn't diet at all. I made the cake as directed on the box and used canned frosting.

I think if I had used the soda in the cake it would have been denser and less gigantic. See, I made two box cakes and put all the batter in two pans. Typically, you do two pans for ONE box of batter. Eep. :/

Also, I should have used twice as much gel coloring to have those really vibrant colors. My cake was more pastel. I used ALL the gel coloring in each tube! It didn't occur to me to double the amount of gel coloring like all the other ingredients got doubled.

Despite that, the cake tasted delicious and looked pretty too!


I'm not sure what it is about Kristy's birthday that makes me want to bake. See, I've only ever made a two-layer cake twice in my lifetime. The last one was exactly one year ago. It was a portal cake for Kristy's birthday. I guess maybe next year I'll graduate to a three layer cake? And in twenty years, Kristy, I'll be able to make that ginormous cake for you. :)

I am definitely going to be trying this recipe again. Maybe rainbow cupcakes soon?

Comments

  1. No pix of Portal cake? Sister, I am dissapoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't occur to me to take a photo until AFTER the cake was consumed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sister-in-law? Does this mean that Leo got married? When did this happen? Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KRISTI! (Whoever you are!) :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love!

Popular This Week

Watch out, Superman

A trip to Asia