Skip to main content

Birthday cupcakes...with sprinkles!!!

Kettlebells or Power Yoga. I wanted to do either one of those on Saturday morning. Instead, I opted for the couch. So, after being lazy for a good part of the day, I decided I wanted to make myself some birthday cupcakes. I didn't really feel like going out and buying ingredients, so I was limited with what I had.

After scouring my various magazines and online recipe websites, I settled on these Lemon Cream Cupcakes.

I should note that it took me a while to find a recipe because a) I've never make cupcakes from scratch, so I wanted something high-rated and simple and b) I was seriously limited on my ingredients.

Seriously limited.

These cupcakes have more substitutes than a middle school.



1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs (I only had one egg. I used a little over 2 tsp applesauce as a substitute)
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel (No lemons, no lemon extract. I didn't even have lemon juice. I used lime juice)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sour cream (I only had 1/2c. sour cream. I used half & half ('cause we're out of milk) with a dash of the lime juice)
FROSTING:
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
2 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice (just plain old skipped this because I ran out of the lime juice!)
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel (also skipped this)
1 tablespoon milk (used 1/2 and 1/2)

I did add a touch more vanilla and milk to make up for the lack of lemon juice. The frosting turned out fine. What with 2 1/4 cups of confectioners' sugar, it's very forgiving.

How did the cupcakes turn out? They're pretty good! They're pretty dense and not all that sweet. But, looking at all the other reviews, those were not uncommon complaints with this recipe. AND, I like dense and not super-sweet. And if you want super-sweet, the icing fits the bill. They're also nice and moist. Yum yum! After piping on the icing, I added sprinkles. Who doesn't like sprinkles?


I also made these cupcakes.












Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love!

Popular This Week

Watch out, Superman

A trip to Asia