Skip to main content

Quarantine log: day 157// back to school

Today was Jojo's first day back at school since March 13th.

When school was canceled back in March, I had no idea that it would be for the remainder of the year. Maybe two weeks, at most, and then this whole pandemic thing would blow over and things would go back to normal.

Then, in May, when I tearfully watched Jojo's virtual award ceremony, I was sure that August would come and school would be back to normal.

Well, normal, whatever that means, isn't back.

But he was at school anyway.

One thing for which I am incredibly grateful, is the method of reopening that our school is using. For in-person, students will attend 0, 1, 2, or 5 days depending on the rate of spread and the number of cases. The remaining days, they will eLearn. I like that it wasn't a choice between totally virtual or totally present. We're cautiously working our way back to five days a week. There is a 100% virtual option for parents who didn't want to go back. 

Next week, is the official start to school. Today was an orientation day of sorts. He met his teacher in person, took some assessments, learned how to use his Chromebook, and took home a stack of workbooks as well as his new laptop. 

(It's kind of crazy that every student in Greenville county gets a Chromebook. I remember in 8th grade, I got to take home an eMate and it was such a big deal!)

We started the day with cinnamon rolls. Well, no, let me rewind. My day started with my alarm and Mike's alarm going off simultaneously at 5:45am. It took us a few minutes to actually roll out of bed. I made my tea and popped some cinnamon rolls in the oven. I figured freshly baked cinnamon rolls would make the kids' early wake up call a little easier. They're alarm clocks went off at 6:15am. Ouch! I went into Jojo's room to gently ease him into wakefulness. He said the alarm startled him, but the promise of a yummy breakfast propelled him out of bed. 


I am chronically late. We probably didn't need 50 minutes to get ready, but I was paranoid about taking forever to wake up and get moving. We had no problem getting to school on time, so I might let them sleep a few minutes later next week. 


Jojo didn't have to wear a mask, but I asked him to wear one in the hallways. And he could take if off when he got to his classroom. I was surprised when I picked him up and he said that he had worn it the whole time. Granted, it was only 2.5 hours but he said it didn't bother him at all!


While he was in school, Ruthie and I took a walk downtown. After a quick stop at Starbucks for some pink treats, we wandered around for almost two hours! Also, important to note: Ruthie didn't like my pink drink! As I'm forever losing any kind of drink that's vaguely chai-ish to this girl, I'm definitely getting pink drinks when I'm out with her. Ha!


"A great and prosperous nation has arisen, commanding the respect of the civilized word." I assume this is a Joel Poinsette quote from July 4, 1851. Wonder if it still applies to our nation today...

Comments

Popular This Week

Watch out, Superman

There's a chicken at the door.