Skip to main content

No I'm not "Andrew's sister"...

my andrews sisters inspired look A few weeks ago, the local swing dance had a Vintage night. I got all excited and dressed in my cute new dress and vintage boy scout hat. Voila! Andrews Sister inspired outfit, no?

No, apparently not.

I was surprised how many confused looks I got when I told someone that I was dressed as an "Andrews Sister" or was wearing an "Andrews Sisters inspired outfit." These ladies are a cultural icon and so many people (not just the young punks) have never heard of them. Hints such as "1940s USO" or "Boogie woogie bugle boy" rarely elicited recognition in their eyes.

So as I sit waiting for the next class to begin (because my class was twenty minutes instead of seventy-five minutes), I will happily inform those of you who are blissfully unaware. I will enrich your knowledge of some 1940s history.

Ready? OK.

Three gals from Minnesota, LaVerne, Maxene, and Patty Andrews formed a trio when they youngest of the three was only 7 and went to to be the best-selling female vocal group in the history of popular music.

Two songs I always think of when the Andrews Sisters are mentioned are Boggie Woogie Bugle Boy and Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree. Other popular songs include: Bei Mir Bist Du Schön and Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar. Oh my gosh. I LOVE dancing to those two songs, particularly the former. :)

My knowledge on the Andrews Sisters is not fantastic. I know who they are and a few of their songs but nothing extensive. To give you some decent factual information, I read through their Wikipedia page. When reading through it, I particularly enjoyed the section on their hit songs because many of their songs are songs I seriously love to dance too. I will do you a favor and not list them all here because, seriously, how many of you have heard of Hold Tight, Hold Tight (Want Some Seafood, Mama?)? Yeah...thought so.

Interesting fact:
Some of records that the Andrews Sisters set decades ago have yet to be surpassed like their 113 charted Billboard hits, 46 of which reached Top 10 status. Not even Elvis or the Beatles did this.


♥, TiffanyAnne

Comments

  1. I was gonna say...cuz you honestly don't look like either of my sisters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love!

Popular This Week

Watch out, Superman