Skip to main content

Loving My Actual Life, month 1, quiet


Quiet. That's the theme for this first month. The author's goal is to "intentionally add quiet to [her] days" by focusing on "actual quiet and virtual quiet."

I could use some quiet too. I'm addicted to (virtual) noise but, as I'm learning, I'm a highly sensitive person who is overwhelmed and drained by (all) noise.

My main goals for this month are to

  • have less time on my phone playing games and checking social media. I can't give up social media all together because I have to use it some for my MOPS publicity role. But I don't have to check Facebook more than once a day or Instagram really at all. 
  • be intentional about having quiet in my day. I'm trying to quiet my thoughts. Quiet my voice. And lessen the barrage of constant stimulation. 
  • make my home more peaceful. I think a tidier, less cluttered home is a more peaceful one. And less TV for my children. I plop my kids in front of the television too much. Then, I think, we all get a little over stimulated. 

She talks about "breath prayer" in chapter one. Inhale a name of God. Exhale a desire. Inhale. Jesus. Exhale. Calm my heart. I've been doing that too. I think I like it. It's a bit meditative.

Notes from Dec 5: I’m terrible at putting my phone down. Lurking isn’t the same as a social media break. Chalk today up as a fail but will try again tomorrow. Oh, I did refrain from staring at my phone while I waited in line at the grocery store earlier today. It had to be a conscious effort because picking up my phone is muscle memory.

Notes from Dec 6: I’ve stayed off social media mostly today. Easier since I was busy and/or had a good book with me. I wish I had gone in the bedroom to read in the quiet (mike was watching tv) or had just gone to bed earlier. Will go to bed without a story. I unabashedly scrolled through FB & Insta just now.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love!

Popular This Week

Watch out, Superman

A trip to Asia