Skip to main content

girl on the street: 80% courage

I've been wanting to try my hand at street photography for a while. It's so intimidating, that I've been putting it off for quite some time. Now that I'm only working one day a week and haven't been getting any business, I decided that this was the perfect time to dive in.

Or slowly tip-toe in. Either way...

Last week, I dragged my dear friend Steven downtown for a photo walk. Me with my Minolta x-700, he with his Canon Rebel dSLR. 

Eric Kim says that "street photography is 80% [courage] and 20% skill." I'm still working on that courage but I was determined to muster up the courage to take photos of strangers.

I just started out by just taking photos of things that caught my eye.


The first thing I saw that caught my eye was this red dress in the Clothing Warehouse display. Gorgeous. And she can't tell me to not take her picture.

Then we walked past this construction. My first photo of strangers. Poorly metered, but it's only my 2nd roll with this very manual camera. I'll get it right next time. :)

Something frustrating about film. I can't just snap and snap until I get it right! I wish I had slowed down to recompose this shot. After I took it, it's not like I can check how it turned out afterwards. I like this picture, but it definitely could have been better.


Shooting from the hip, just to try it. Everything is in decent enough focus, so I'd say this was a success. It would be better if it was a compelling image.

I sat down in the middle of the bridge to take this photo. Steven looked at me like I was an idiot...so I guess I'm getting more comfortable looking a bit strange for the sake of photography! (I think that's his elbow in the upper left corner.)

The rest of the photos were taken with my Minolta x-700 and a variety of lenses (35mm, 58mm, 135mm). This photo, however, was taken with a Kodak FunSaver disposable camera. And I really like it.

I know I tweeted about getting street portraits. Those are from another day and are coming. :)

Comments

  1. Next time I'm in town we can go on a photo walk. I will bring my cheapo point-and-shoot. That would be fun. Also. I NEED THAT DRESS IN MY LIFE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be fun. :) We'll take lots of photos on Twinfest as well!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, that red dress! Hmm, what could I wear that to? It doesn't matter. I think if I had it, I'd wear it to do dishes until Jeremy was forced to take me somewhere special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Good idea! It's a gorgeous dress, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. I saw that dress last time I was downtown and I really liked it. I would also like to go on a photo walk with you. One, so I can learn, and two- I will make you take portraits of people. I'll even tell them "look natural, she is taking your picture."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think telling people to look natural would make them tense up, instead. People need direction when you put a camera in front of their face. But yes, we should go on a photo walk. :)

      Delete
  4. I saw some photos this week by a lady, back during the 50s and 60s, who did "street photos". She left over 100,000 negatives and boxes of undeveloped roles of film behind, when she died!!
    And nobody but a few people knew who she was!! An exhibit is being shown now, across the country, of some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's so crazy! I'll have to see if there's ever any shows near me!

      Delete
  5. I totally know what you mean. It's so tough to have the courage. I sneak the photos, but it's still something I'm working on too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually drummed up the courage to ask strangers if I could take their photos! Those pictures are coming soon :)

      Delete
  6. I actually drummed up the courage to ask strangers if I could take their photos! Those pictures are coming soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think telling people to look natural would make them tense up, instead. People need direction when you put a camera in front of their face. But yes, we should go on a photo walk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Good idea! It's a gorgeous dress, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That will be fun. :) We'll take lots of photos on Twinfest as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That's so crazy! I'll have to see if there's ever any shows near me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love!

Popular This Week

Watch out, Superman