Skip to main content

Vegetarian Challenge


So, I don't know if I've talked on here before about how Mike and I are going all hippie. We've started buying our meat from a local farm. We rarely every drink coca-cola. I'm trying to watch out for high fructose corn syrup. We're trying to eat healthier, organic, and local. We've watched Food Inc., Food Matters, and King Corn. All of which I highly recommend, by the way. King Corn is probably the most entertaining of all three.

The other day, I watched a trailer for Forks Over Knives. Mike had posted it on his twitter account. Well, he comes home that evening and says that he thinks, maybe, he'd like to go vegetarian.

...

...


Did I hear that right?

I did.

I wasn't too crazy about it at first. But I jumped on board and it's been pretty fun so far. So far as in, we're on Day 5. We're going to stick with this for a month, and then, who knows, maybe we'll like it so much it stays. We'll still eat fish. But, being raised catholic, I don't really count fish as meat anyway.


Keep in mind, we're two meat-loving carnivores. I love steak and ribs. One of my favorite billboards says, "They're a place for all God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes."

So, while this wasn't my favorite idea every, I'm looking forward to a change in our eating habits for the better. Our goal isn't just to be meat-free. You can eat cheetos and powdered doughnuts all day (not that I would ever do that...) and be meat free. Our goal is to eat healthier. To eat more plant based foods. To eat more raw foods.

If you have a favorite vegetarian dish, I'd love to know about it. This carnivore needs some meatless meal ideas!

Comments

  1. My daughter refused meat for a while so I had to start getting creative. This was one of my favorites!
    http://www.housewifeeclectic.com/2010/07/tasty-tuesdays-squash-ravioli.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going veggie or vegan?
    A recipe I'm trying sometime in the next week is:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Black-Beans-and-Rice/Detail.aspx
    If you get to it first, let me know what you think! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Debra! And, Erin, just vegetarian. That's enough as a challenge as is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're very close to being with you. Well, except for that no meat thing. That's the only thing I have against being vegetarian. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the whole, not eating meat thing is the hardest. It's hard to find something I consider a main dish that has NO meat in it! But it gets easier :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love!

Popular This Week

Watch out, Superman

A trip to Asia