Skip to main content

speak wisdom to your emotions

Sometimes I really frustrate myself. It is insane how dichotomous I can be. (Yeah. Dichotomous. I did just use that word. How 'bout them apples?) I just spent some time talking with my roommate and giving her surprisingly sound and logical advice. I have such a hard time applying that exact same advice to my own life. These wise words are coming out of my mouth and I just want to yell at myself, "So why don't you do that? Huh? Huh?" It's only through God that I can dig up these words to help her. Now, I need to lean on Him to use those same ideas and apply them to my life.

Sometimes, the hardest thing is realizing your limits and sticking to them. Do this even if it makes you unhappy in the moment because in a few weeks, days, or even a few minutes, you'll realize that you did the right thing. That realization will happen when you come to your senses and find yourself feeling tons better. Instead of listening to our emotions, we need to make them listen to us. I first learned of this idea at New Attitude '08 when CJ Mahaney gave a talk about the word of God and our feelings. This immediately appealed to me because I am a hugely emotional being.

The idea of going against what I "feel" does not appeal to me at all. What is WRONG with how I feel? That's just who I am and how I deal with things. So, I let myself settle into this need-filled funk which I feel requires people to bring me out.

But that's not what the Bible tells me to do. When I am "in turmoil" (or, as I like to say, in a funk) I should take a good look at myself and praise God. I hate telling myself to put my emotions aside because it's not a natural thing to want to do. It's not nice and it doesn't seem fair. But, truth be told, I find myself in a much better state when I rule my emotions instead of letting them rule me.

Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. Psalm 42: 5 (ESV)

♥, TiffanyAnne

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love!

Popular This Week

Watch out, Superman