Skip to main content

A Telemarketing Tale

I know better than to pick up the "Unavailable" calls that come to my cell phone. I thought that this one might be a priest friend of mine (thought I think calling each other "friend" is stretching it these days...) so just this once, I answered the phone.

It was Visa.

I stayed on the line because I have a guilt complex. I let the girl think that my name was Veronica (my mom's name) and that I lived at 110 Coleman Drive(my old address). I had been entered into a sweepstakes, I had won a tennis bracelete or watch, I was getting three magazines for the price of one.

I was going to hang up when she transfered me, but I didn't want to hang up on her. Then she was all, "I'm going to transfer you to my supervisor, but can you do me a favor? Can you put in a good word for me?" I felt even worse about hanging up on her! Here she is, just trying to get by, but maybe the cold-calling-you've-been-entered-into-a-sweepstakes-here-are-some-free-magazines-thing isn't working so well for her and she wants her supervisor to know that she's doing a good job. And she is! She's really nice, not the kind of person you want to hang up on.

But I got lucky. I didn't have to hang up on her. The line disconnected us!

♥Tiffany♥

Comments

  1. Pushed around by a telemarketer just minutes after posting the lyrics to Tom Petty's "Won't Back Down". I think that is irony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I wouldn't have been able to hang up either! Of course, maybe that's a new technique - like when a waitress carries around the cutie pie pic of her niece and claims it to be her own to customers for that "poor single mom" bonus percentage (worked in the biz for 5 years - I swear that wasn't me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. If a telemarketer called me on my cellphone I wouldn't hesitate to hang up on them as fast as humanly possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish anonymous commenters would sign with their name/initial/whatever. Don't get me wrong, I'm low in the blogosphere, I'll take what I can get.

    And anyway, I have a guilt complex. It's mean to hang up on people. I imagined sad dejected and rejected Whitney on the other line and I just couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think of it like this, every time you hang up on a telemarketer, it's like giving them a raise. It's true! Think of it like this, the free market pays people the minimum it has to for them to do a job. The more painful the job, the more money has to be laid out for someone to want to do it. So, if you can make telemarketing a real hassle, one that nobody wants to do, everyone who takes the work will get paid more money. Really, they should thank YOU for hanging up on them. But they won't.... because they can't talk to you when you slam the phone down in the middle of their yack-yack.

    -d

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Whitney probaby signed your mom up for some $50/year magazines she doesn't want anyhow....
    -d

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, your right! Telemarketers get paid like $13/hour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And if you hang up on them more often they might get paid $14/hr!!
    -d

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love!

Popular This Week

Watch out, Superman

A trip to Asia