Skip to main content

They call me mellow yellow



"We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around, when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right."

It kind of reminds me of that sweet song: "Red and yellow, black and white. They are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Some people are saying that this was "inspiring" while still other cite the colorful quip as "racist" and "demeaning". The UK Times Online says that the final bit of the speech was a "great tonic" after all the seriousness of the day.

I'm curious as to what you think. Racist? Funny? What's everyone making a big deal about?


♥, TiffanyAnne

Comments

  1. I have heard that rhyming scheme before. I think it, or a version of it, extends back to at least Jesse Jackson's hey-day. I assumed that he was directly invoking the spirit of the civil rights movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was pretty funny. As far as racist...yeah, definitely towards white people. His statement is basically saying that up until the age of Obama, white people have only been wrong. Whatever.
    I think that slavery and segregation are and were totally wrong...sinful. And I also think that racism exists more than just white against black, and that the end of his benediction was proof of that.
    Wellz, that's my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, lemme clarify something. I think his intent was to say that white people haven't dealt black people the right deal prior to now. Yeah, that's true about some white people, but to just say "white people" and generalize like that...not cool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love!

Popular This Week

Watch out, Superman

A trip to Asia