Skip to main content

eLearning woes

Yesterday was a doozy. Someone on Facebook said that eLearning is like having a newborn again, in the sense that children need constant attention. And that's not an inaccurate statement. 

I know that Jojo's teacher doesn't helicopter him at school; she has other children who also need her attentions. So, I'm trying to be better about letting him work independently.

For independent reading, I've been sitting with him and listening to him read. Yesterday, however, I set him up with a stack of readers that were about his level, set the timer, and left the room. He did a great job!

Today, instead of hovering over him while he did his work, I'm trying to give him some space. But, ugh, it's hard. For example, he tried to go to his Seesaw account but it signed him out! So I had to dig around in my email to find his code, blah blah blah.

Anyway. Its our third day of eLearning and fourth day of school (he goes to school on Tuesdays).

Trying to find the balance between keeping him on some semblance of a schedule and giving him breaks is difficult too. I'm so bad at keeping a schedule, but its up to me!

Also. It's so loud in my house. My senses are overwhelmed. Actually, no. It's not even that loud. Only, the sound is nonstop. Sometimes I feel like every sound jars my soul.

I could set them up with tablets and check out, but I'm trying to get them to use less screen time. I'm so addicted to my phone and frequent shots of dopamine. I don't want that to happen to them. 

I love having my kids at home more. They grow up so fast--I'm going to have to sign Ruthie up for kindergarten in a couple of months! More time with them really is precious. My two babies are best friends; they play so well and so creatively together. At this very moment, they're playing Mega Bloks. Jojo made a dragonfly! Ruthie says she is making treats for her stuffed kitty. All of this with those big clunky blocks meant for toddlers! I love how creative they are with Mega Bloks!

To add to my love of having them around, I've recently come to realize that physical touch is one of my love languages. And these two kiddos are amazing snugglers.

On the flipside of that coin, I really miss my free Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I miss running in the woods. I could have gotten up to go for a run this morning, but I didn't have it in me. My bones felt tired. But it was more like my soul was tired. Its so much easier for me to go for a run in the mountains that a run on the road.

Welp, there is all my whining. It could be so much worse. We have a beautiful home. I have a surplus of candles to keep our school room cozy. We have such a nice school room. We have a pool and a playset. We are so blessed and full of luxuries. 

Comments

Popular This Week

Watch out, Superman

There's a chicken at the door.