Skip to main content

Exploring Lake Conestee


Just spent my morning walking around Lake Conestee Nature Park. I wore my walking with the intent of doing a bit more exploring that usual. I didn't pack my camera because I just wanted to look. And my 85mm lens doesn't have that much of a reach. And I had my phone for a few snap shots.

First stop was the West Bay Observation deck. You can see the Heron nests in the tall trees from here. Its really quite pretty. I stayed for a bit but I didn't see any herons. I did see what I later confirmed were wood ducks. I also saw a couple of bluebirds in the distance.

I did see a few bees near the West Bay Observation Deck though! Last time I was on the Possum Run boardwalk, I saw so many sparrows. Absolutely NONE right now though! And at this point in my excursion, I started wishing I had stopped to use the bathroom before diving into the wilderness!

As I was walking, I found it enjoyable to realize that I could easily identify some birds by sound alone. I heard the call of a northern cardinal, the chiding of a carolina wren, and the song of a tufted titmouse.

As I was crossing a bridge, I looked out to the heron nests and saw a great egret! How fun! I've only ever seen these at the coast, so this was a treat for me. I also saw a great blue heron wading in the water. A few minutes later, I heard singing above me. I saw a little northern parula.

And it really was a gorgeous day to go hiking. But around this time, I stopped drinking and started praying for a place to go potty. Oh goodness. You'll be pleased to know, I eventually found myself on a secluded trail spur and was able to discretely relieve myself without anyone nearby.

I think this plant is jewelweed. Its a natural remedy for poison ivy! 

I explored quite a bit of Lake Conestee. Going to most of the birding sites noted on the map. I don't know my way around so well, so I think I spent most of my time looking at the map.


Stopped here for a while. I had to, of course, since it's the Bird Nest! I heard a hawk and some crows, but couldn't really see anything from this lookout.

This lookout must be new because it's not on the map. It was a little scary climbing up, but it was nice to sit up here and look around.


This was my view from that lookout. I saw crows, a downy woodpecker, an eastern phoebe, bluebirds and a deer!

Can you see the deer? Not a great photo since it's a zoomed in photo taken with my phone.

So, on the map, this is all under water! Isn't that crazy?

These guys were right next to a bridge called "Woodie Way." So, I was able to get at least a couple bird shots...and a turtle!

Comments

Popular This Week

Watch out, Superman

A trip to Asia