Skip to main content

Words I that annoy me: Lurve

Glitter Graphics at GlitterYourWay.com

I don't like the word "lurve." Apparently, it's from the movie Annie Hall--which I have yet to see.

"Love is too weak a word for what I feel - I lurve you, you know, I loave you, I luff you, two F's, yes I have to invent, of course I - I do, don't you think I do?"

Lurve is a horrible garbled form of the word "love" that supposedly can pack in more love than "love."

I think, maybe, we just overuse the word "love." This is a fault of the English language, of course. We don't have several "love" words to talk about the different ways which we love.

I love The Office. I love chocolate. I love Alex. I love Mike. I love Lauren (both of 'em). I love God. I love my Dad. I love dancing. I love blogging. I love my car. I love Jacob Johnson's music.

I don't love The Office in the same way that I love Mike--but I do love watching The Office with Mike. Come to think of it, I don't think I really actually "love" The Office. I just really really really like watching it. And really really really like does not mean love.

What is it about the word that annoys me? I have no idea. I just don't like it. So, if you are one of the many people I know who lurve the word "lurve," could you save me from cringing and just use an actual word? Except for my sister, who will probably say that word at every available opportunity from now on.

♥, TiffanyAnne

Comments

  1. ewww. I don't think I like that word either. :-P It reminds me of a Southern accent twist on a word. :) And I'm saying that as a Southerner.... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who me? Are you suggesting that I LURVE to annoy you? LURVE the word LURVE? Well, I LURVE Woody Allen, so what's good for Annie is good for me.

    PS LURVE LURVE LURVE LURVE LURVE LURVE LURVE LURVE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like it either. It's so preppy-sounding. LOVE sounds pure and clean and purposeful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love!

Popular This Week

Watch out, Superman

A trip to Asia